• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2019/2020 MLB Offseason thread Rate Topic: *---- 1 Votes

#451 User online   FolesMVP Icon

• Angry Old Man - Formerly LarryBowa10
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 11 February 2020 - 11:01 PM

View PostChristopher, on 11 February 2020 - 10:24 PM, said:

So part of that is a reflection of the quality of the Braves, Nats and Mets, right?
The NL really has no chumps at this point, with the Pirates and Giants probably the weakest two teams this year.

Phillies are going to have to bust their asses to win series, so, no, I don't think 76.5 wins is a crazy thought. These models are not assuming 2018 Aaron Nola. Should we? And even if he is, we get 100 starts from Arrieta/Eflin/Velasquez.

Bet my life savings on the over.

My son going to college this fall is dependent on the Phils season....

#452 User offline   Christopher Icon

Posted 11 February 2020 - 11:22 PM

View PostFolesMVP, on 11 February 2020 - 11:01 PM, said:

Bet my life savings on the over.

My son going to college this fall is dependent on the Phils season....

Or you could just vote for Bernie.

#453 User offline   TennPhan Icon

• Phan Going on 60 years
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • LocationTexas

Posted 12 February 2020 - 04:09 AM

View Postbigel57, on 11 February 2020 - 08:01 PM, said:

PECOTA has Phillies win total at 76.5. Wow!

Certainly and indication of caution in being too optimistic going into this season, but PECOTA had the 2018 A's projected to win 77 games and they won 97. Last season, they projected the Braves for fourth place behind the Nationals, Mets, and Phillies, but they won the division.

#454 User offline   Christopher Icon

Posted 12 February 2020 - 02:36 PM

Love your C-64 pic, TennPhan

#455 User offline   Christopher Icon

Posted 13 February 2020 - 08:57 PM

This is depressing (Washington Post):

If you think the Houston Astros pulled off a feat with their sign-stealing en route to the 2017 World Series title, they’ve got nothing on the 1951 New York Giants. A highly similar scheme by the Giants not only sparked an amazing run to the National League pennant but also led to the most famous home run in baseball history: the “Shot Heard ’Round the World.”

Both teams used a “spy” in center field to steal the opposing catcher’s signals and relay them to the batter. For the Astros, it was a center field camera feeding a monitor in the dugout. For the 1951 Giants, it was a handheld telescope manned by a coach, who then pressed a buzzer that sounded in the bullpen. Both teams then signaled the pitch to the hitter — the Astros by banging a trash can, the Giants by having a player in the bullpen either toss a ball in the air or hold it still.

#456 User offline   bigel57 Icon

• PipPipPip

Posted 14 February 2020 - 08:48 PM

View PostChristopher, on 13 February 2020 - 08:57 PM, said:

This is depressing (Washington Post):

If you think the Houston Astros pulled off a feat with their sign-stealing en route to the 2017 World Series title, they’ve got nothing on the 1951 New York Giants. A highly similar scheme by the Giants not only sparked an amazing run to the National League pennant but also led to the most famous home run in baseball history: the “Shot Heard ’Round the World.”

Both teams used a “spy” in center field to steal the opposing catcher’s signals and relay them to the batter. For the Astros, it was a center field camera feeding a monitor in the dugout. For the 1951 Giants, it was a handheld telescope manned by a coach, who then pressed a buzzer that sounded in the bullpen. Both teams then signaled the pitch to the hitter — the Astros by banging a trash can, the Giants by having a player in the bullpen either toss a ball in the air or hold it still.

This theory has been advanced for decades without any real definitive evidence outside of a backup Giants catcher named Sal Yvars ,,who claimed to be the bullpen catcher who relayed the signs
This “story” surfaced at least 20 years after the ‘51 Thomson “Shot heard round the world”. I grew up a N.Y. Giants fan and never heard anything about this all through the 50’s and 60’s...

#457 User offline   Christopher Icon

Posted 14 February 2020 - 09:35 PM

Unprecedented for a pro sport, perhaps, but I'm starting to think the only way MLB can begin to heal from this would be to vacate the 2017 World Series result. It's meaningless anyway; there is no joy from it now for players, or fans.

I understand teams will always find big and little ways to get an edge, but the level of cheating the Astros exhibited to win a 50-50 World Series that went 7 games tells me it's likely they wouldn't have won without it.

Vacating that title will also send a message that could help stave off what is brewing as a very ugly season for MLB in which every series and every week is focused on the Astros' cheating and other teams, one by one, taking retaliation.

#458 User offline   Christopher Icon

Posted 14 February 2020 - 10:19 PM

Trevor Bauer on the Astros:

"they are hypocrites, they are cheaters, they've stolen from a lot of other people and the game itself was completely unfair."

... you guys think you are better than everyone and you don't have to abide by the rules? Fuck you. You know? That's how I feel about their whole operation."

"If Mike Fiers doesn't come out and say something, nothing gets done. Nothing -- even though all the players know this shit is going on, it's the worst kept secret in baseball."

#459 User offline   bigel57 Icon

• PipPipPip

Posted 14 February 2020 - 10:23 PM

View PostChristopher, on 14 February 2020 - 09:35 PM, said:

Unprecedented for a pro sport, perhaps, but I'm starting to think the only way MLB can begin to heal from this would be to vacate the 2017 World Series result. It's meaningless anyway; there is no joy from it now for players, or fans.

I understand teams will always find big and little ways to get an edge, but the level of cheating the Astros exhibited to win a 50-50 World Series that went 7 games tells me it's likely they wouldn't have won without it.

Vacating that title will also send a message that could help stave off what is brewing as a very ugly season for MLB in which every series and every week is focused on the Astros' cheating and other teams, one by one, taking retaliation.

Watch again Altuve’s eyes light up when he sees Chapman’s high hanging slider which he hit 500 feet. When Chapman is throwing 100-102 mph fastballs,you cannot be sitting slider unless you know what’s coming.
Then watch him grabbing his shirt lapels tightly and screaming to his teammates notorious off his jersey
Bergman,Correa,Altuve all lying
Manfred total cover-up

#460 User offline   Christopher Icon

Posted 14 February 2020 - 10:35 PM

MLB is just godawful at policing the integrity of the game.

I still cannot believe we just sat around and believed the 2001-2004 chapter of Barry Bonds.

Share this topic:

• 47 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Icon1 User(s) are reading this topic (0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users)

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: